This class covers Python from the very basics. Suitable for GIS practitioners with no programming background or python knowledge. The course will introduce participants to basic programming concepts, libraries for working with spatial data, geospatial APIs and techniques for building spatial data processing pipelines.
If you have struggled to get into programming on your own, this instructor-led class will help you overcome the hurdles and build your first project in Python.
8 Hours + 2 Week Project
- Knowledge of GIS concepts [OR] Spatial Data Visualization and Analytics course
- Knowledge of how to setup the Python environment and install packages.
- Ability to read and write spatial data, query web APIs, use geospatial packages and carry out basic geoprocessing tasks.
- Familiarity with data science libraries to scale your analysis to large datasets.
- Setting up the environment using Anaconda and Jupyter notebooks
- Programming basics – variables, data structures, functions, flow control
- Reading and writing files (file I/O, csv)
- Installing and using libraries (geopy)
- Using web APIs (openrouteservice)
- Introduction to modern data science libraries (numpy, pandas)
- Introduction to spatial analysis (geopandas)
- Using raster data (rasterio)
- Building scripts and automating workflows
- Each participant will work on a project of their choice to complete within 2 weeks of the class. The topic can be selected by the participant or will be assigned by instructor based on their interest areas.
- 1-1 mentoring and email support will be available during the project.
- Participants must complete the project to receive a completion certificate.
- Example projects submitted by previous participants:
See our other Course Offerings.
This is excellent training, delivered well over an appropriate time period. Ujaval is a patient and well-resourced trainer who really knows the material.
Got a ‘under the hood’ peek into Python. I got a very solid overview and a good starting point to move further to more sophisticated topics and applications. I enjoyed every minute and every aspect of the workshop.